Sunday, August 19

Tears and Tantrums ......

...... at our favourite coffee shop yesterday when my worst fears were confirmed.






Yup. They've changed their muffin supplier. Goodbye Raspberry and White Choc Chip Muffin (I'll miss you my friend), hello Blueberry and Cheesecake.





It doesn't even come close. (Obviously I still ate it. Well, I hate waste).



But when the very nice lady (who makes the best coffees) saw me contorting my knitted monkey's face into a down turned mouth how upset 007 was by the whole situation, she reassured us that the RaWCC muffin would be back. Hurrah!

However, in the meantime desperate times call for desperate measures. We bought muffin trays .......



...... and sourced a suitable recipe on-line



We assembled the ingredients .......




But before you read any further can I just mention that the last time I (tried) to bake a cake (a Victoria Sponge Sandwich as I recall) was about 10 years ago and unfortunately both the cake and the tins it was welded to ended up in the bin (that was before I hated waste). So don't expect a happy ending to this story.


Ok, carry on.


007 seemed reluctant to use a whole pack of Green and Blacks .......


Can't we just have a couple of chunks?



And was a natural at stirring ......

What are you trying to say?




And pretty soon our muffins were ready for the oven. We were very excited.






Oh yeah, look at me. I can hardly contain my excitement. And get this ridiculous hat off me.





In fact, it was a bit of a cook-off in our kitchen yesterday. While 007 and I were hard at it on the muffin front, RBD 2 made these rather chocolaty cakes ......






...... and RBD1 cooked these rather pink strawberry buns ......






And not to be outdone, RGH created this ......

...... which isn't what it looks like. 007 hadn't had one too many Bacardi Breezers the night before, oh no. It's actually a rather delicious Gent Stew (or Gentse Waterzooi to give it it's proper title). And Wow! Who knew that I'd ever find stew delicious?


Anyway. Back to the muffins ...... actually, I think the word "muffin" is a bit of lie ......


...... mm. Right. Well, I shan't be giving up the day job anytime soon.



And lets never speak of these again .......



What can I say? I'm a Monkee maker, not a cake baker. And let's face it, 007 is A KNITTED MONKEY (I have to keep reminding myself of that) so how much help could he be in the kitchen, really? I'm very envious of my virtual mate Michaela who makes the most divine cakes and bakes and makes it look easy!


007 couldn't decide which to sample ......

..... so had to have one of each. Let's just say the "muffins" didn't take first prize.


Anyone need any muffin trays?


Competition News

The end is drawing neigh on this competition (at long last), so be sure to leave a caption for the photo on this post by Wednesday, to be in with a chance of winning this pink monkey ......


I like pink ..... hairbands



And finally, a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my RMB (Rather Musical Bro), the cheeky chirpy chappy on the left in the picture below ......

...... who is now yet another year older than me. Bah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

8 comments:

Michaela said...

It was a standing joke at Cookery School that I was the most useless cake maker in the history of the whole school. Times have moved on a bit, although I am still rubbish at muffins. Should 007 ever need a litle Cookery Holiday, he is more than welcome to pop over for a lesson or 2. Oh and that hat looked so fetching 007, you looked every inch the professional. Gordon Ramsey watch out!

Anonymous said...

Yes, but did the muffins 007 made TASTE good? I'm not surprised they turned out like that, cos MEN DON'T GET MUFFIN TOPS!!! It's so unfair!

julie said...

Good old 007 - he really is keen to try his hand at anything! I did giggle at the picture of how your muffins came out! I've never made any though and I suspect it's a lot harder than it looks. It is how they taste that's the important thing and with all that green and blacks choc I bet they were scrummy!

Anonymous said...

Wow 007's so clever I can't cook to save my life! and where did you manage to get a chef's hat to fit him?!!
p.s I've got lots of pink hairbands to tempt pink monkee - not to mention pink t-shirts, pink jumpers, pink bags......is bribery wrong in order to win a pink monkee???!!!

Deb said...

I am glad I am not the only one who can't make muffins, I am sorry but I had such a good laugh when I saw your mufffin tray bake! You have brightened my morning!

Anonymous said...

Oh, those muffins look lovely! I would've eaten them.

But, really, you shouldn't post all that lovely food (which I'm seeing right before lunch on a Monday morning! Torture!) without recipes! (Or at least a hint at where to find the recipes. You make them sound so delicious that I want to pursue the muffins, too!)

Anonymous said...

This post made me laugh so much. Sorry about the muffins - I think cake is something you're born being able to do (or not). There's no logic to it, it's just like having blue eyes or being left-handed or one of those things. I know frighteningly good cooks who are unable to bake.

mrspao said...

You just need bigger tins! They did look tasty though and that's what counts. Hope your local coffee shop gets those muffins back soon. Maybe you need to make a raspberry and white chocolate monkey in the meantime?